The Sculpture Department is among the first structures of the Belle-Arte School in Bucharest, the first professor, Karl Stork, being appointed on the 2nd of January 1865; he was seconded by Ioan Georgescu and Vladimir Hégel. Subsequently, numerous great Romanian sculptors became professors in the Department, and we name here only Dimitrie Paciurea, Oscar Han or Ion Lucian Murnu; Constantin Brancusi similarly trained within the department between 1898 and 1902.
The teaching activities within the Department aim at training new generations of artists, responsive to the newest artistic realities of the present times, capable to manifest themselves freely in the contemporary context, but also being familiar with an artistic tradition older than a hundred years; the attitude that always guided the artistic education in Bucharest was the balanced combination between tradition and an openness to experiment and renewal. Within the Department, the future sculptor shapes his / her creative personality under the systematic guidance of the teaching personnel consisting of experienced artists, professionals in the field; consequently, s/he acquires a method of individual study in the field of drawing, modeling and composition which helps the development of his / her abilities of experimental research; simultaneously with acquiring a three-dimensional visual expression, s/he will be perfectly capable to search for, assimilate and synthesize the informational resources, to express him/herself plastically through creatively employing traditional or nonconventional materials, to relate volumes with the ambient space, to experiment with varied means of expression. The current teaching personnel in the Department is selected from our best graduates who follow in the footsteps of renowned artists who were also accomplished professors.
The premises of the Department offer individual workshops to groups organized on years of study and dedicated workshops equipped with the necessary working tools and furniture; the warehouses storing supplies permanently provide students with the necessary materials for study or transfer. The workshops dedicated to transfers in plaster, stone, wood and metal are similarly modernly equipped, with an almost complete range of specific tools; the existence of three-phase electrical sources in the workshops for transfer in stone and metal allows for using tools and machines with an industrial performance and efficiency, which partly supports the artistic and expressive quality of transfers.